I had intended to post this message yesterday, but I managed to trigger a security feature and couldn't post as a result.
No problem, however.
Thanks to this, the game is now more polished since I had more time to fix some serious bugs that came up in the testing process.
There has been a lot of bug fixes, and a few new features.
My goal was to release an alpha that was, although lacking features, near bug free.
Some of the new features:
- A few new techniques (spells), that are actually based on ideas composed by friend of mine.
- A castbar, and server and clientside casting time.
- Cooldown indicators, and server and clientside cooldown calculations.
- A lot of improvements to the scripting interface to support the new techniques.
- Tooltips for techniques in the trainer and the power book.
- A messaging system (notifications, local and serverside).
- Chat channels, although only general channel is working right now.
- Network protocol improvement.
- Many more small fixes and lesser features…
Some notes about the alpha:
The binary uploaded is 32-bit only.
The GPU of my primary computer died, and while waiting for a new one I am stuck with my laptop.
32-bit libraries for Ogre, MyGUI and OIS are bundled, and can be used by starting the game using the launcher.
The rest of the dependencies are fairly generic.
No Windows binary, I don’t own a computer using Windows.
Later on I might manage to compile a version at work where we use Windows.
The world data bundled with this release is nothing spectacular, just some basic terrain to show what my custom world format is capable of.
The only class with techniques is the Neuromancer, so that’s probably the class you want to try :)
High ping users might have problems playing.
If you have over 100ms in ping to 184.108.40.206 you will probably not have a smooth experience.
Getting the alpha:
The launcher download URL is attached below, since something messed up the formatting when I tried to paste it here.
The launcher will download all necessary files, and you can use it to always stay up to date with the latest versions.
If the game doesn't start when clicking the "Play"-button in the launcher, try running the neo.sh script in a terminal and check the output for missing libs.
You need to register here: http://neommo.ath.cx.
The same details can then be used to enter the game.
- The tooltips can get stuck.
Some debug commands that can be handy:
Shows your average FPS
Opens the trainer window where you can spend points in skilltrees or techniques.
Sets your level, replace X with a number.
Good for giving you a few extra points to use in the trainer
Sets your health, replace X with a number.
Sets all stats, replace X with a number.
These stats influences your max energy and health, can be good for testing the spells.
If you find any bugs, or have any questions, feel free to ask them here.